Medical Guardian is a relatively new entrant in the field of medical alert systems. The Philadelphia, PA, based company was created in 2005 to provide an alternative to industry leaders such as Philips Lifeline and Life Alert. Apart from offering the traditional and reliable land phone line linked medical alert systems, they also offers mobile alert and auto fall detection systems. Their newer mobile units have created a lot of positive buzz. Many consumers are interested in them and the company is growing at an alarming pace.
Medical Guardian seeks to strike a balance between modern technology and traditional products that are known to be reliable and effective. The company has gained its market share due to sophisticated products and services, transparent terms and conditions, and exceptional customer service.
Products and Services
They offer many different products to seniors across all 50 states of United States.
Standard Medical Alert System – This system is similar to other medical alert systems you may have used or read about. It consists of a base station that is connected to the traditional phone line, and a bracelet or a necklace. All the components contain a help button. In case of an emergency, the seniors can press the button to contact a trained monitoring agent at the call monitoring center. The agent will get in touch with the emergency services and ensure that help reaches you as quickly as possible. The prompt response can make a big difference and help prevent serious complications and long-term disabilities. This reliable technology has been in use for decades and is proven to be efficient and effective. The defining features are below:
- The range of operation is about 400 ft. This means signals from the help button will reach the base station as long as it is in that range. While this distance is enough for most small homes and apartments, other medical alert systems offer a range of 800 to 1,000 ft. Physical obstacles and environmental factors can also impact the functioning of the Medical Guardian base station. We recommend you to test the system from various points in your house before finalizing it. If you have a larger house, go for a mobile medical alert system.
- It offers a 72 hour battery backup in case of a power outage
- The monitoring center is open every day of the year and offers 24-hour assistance to its subscribers. All the monitoring agents undergo extensive training and are 911 certified. The staff also has access to the medical information that you provide to the company. This information helps them make important decisions in case of an emergency. The United States based call center meets UL standards. It has also been certified by the Department of Defense.
In-Home Cellular Emergency Alert System – This system is a great choice for seniors who do not have a traditional phone line. The In-Home Cellular Emergency Alert System consists of the following:
- a console or a base station which connects with the monitoring center through a wireless cellular line offered by AT&T. You will not require a cell phone connection for this system.
- Apart from the phone line, the cellular emergency system works just like the standard medical alert system.
- Seniors can chose to wear a necklace or a bracelet.
- The back up battery lasts for 36 hours.
- The range of operation is about 600 ft.
MobileAlert Mobile Emergency Alert System – Unlike some of its competitors, Medical Guardian also offers a Mobile Emergency Alert System. It can help seniors stay safe at home. They can also enjoy walking, shopping and other outdoor activities without worrying about falls and injuries. There several key features including…
- The machine consists of a base station with a power source that stays in your home.
- It also consists of a mobile unit that can be taken anywhere. The home-based base station is similar to the In-Home Cellular Emergency Alert System. The calls are routed through AT&T network. However, the consumers do not require any cell phone connection.
- The portable unit of the system is the size of a deck of cards and consists of a help button. It consists of a GPS tracker which informs the monitoring center about your exact location. Help can reach you within minutes.
Automatic FallAlert Fall Detection Button – Keeping up with the latest trends in fall prevention, Medical Guardian is also offering an fall detection alert system. The FallAlert will automatically call the monitoring center in case of a fall. This can help seniors who become unconsciousness due to the fall and are unable to press the help button.
Most medical alert system companies have had issues with their automatic fall detection systems. Patients often experience false alarms. However, the company claims that their device is accurate and efficient. The FallAlert service is compatible with the In-Home Cellular and Mobile Alert systems.
Costs and Contracts
The standard medical alert system will set you back by $29.95 each month. You will, however, receive a bill of $89.85 each quarter. You can also choose to pay for the entire year. Your one-time bill amount will be $329.45. This will translate into $27.45 per month because the company offers one month of free service to seniors who pay annually. This is a great option because the company refunds the fees for unused months in case of cancellation. You simply return the equipment for the refund. Not many medical alert system companies do that and this adds to the desirability of Medical Guardian.
You can add an extra help button for your spouse for an additional fee. The company also offers special deals from time to time, including the second help button for free. Unlike some of its medical alert system competitors, it does not charge an activation fee. The In-Home Cellular Emergency Alert System will cost $34.95 per month. This is about $5 more than the standard medical alert system. For additional $10, you can upgrade to FallAlert Fall Detection button. The MobileAlert Mobile Emergency Alert System costs $39.95 per month, which is $5 more than the In-Home Cellular System.
There are no long-term contracts or termination fees.
Medical Guardian offers many types of base station units and SOS help buttons. The base station unit of the standard medical alert system is attractive and functional. The speakers and the microphone are sensitive and allow for effective communication between the senior and the monitoring agent. The large help button at the center of the base station is clearly visible. The high quality equipment has been approved by UL Standards.
The bracelet and the necklace are also stylish and easy to use. They are lightweight and waterproof as well. Seniors can wear them at all times. The average battery life for the necklace or the bracelet is 3 to 5 years. This is slightly less than Philips Lifeline but is still comparable with industry standards. The base station has a back up power source that will maintain the system for 36 to 72 hours in case of a power outage. This feature can help keep seniors safe during natural disasters such as hurricanes and tornadoes.
You will need a traditional land phone line to install the standard medical alert system. It does work with some voice over Internet (VoIP) phones. Talk to the company’s service representatives to learn more about VoIP connections.
Unlike some of its competitors, Medical Guardian also offers products for individuals who do not own a traditional land line or a cell phone. Seniors can connect to the monitoring center with the help of a base station that is linked to a wireless connection.
The company does not offer professional installation. However, the system is easy to set up. Simply connect the base station to the phone line and plug it to a power source. The equipment comes with clear set of instructions. Users can also contact the company’s service representatives if they have any issues.
Customer Service and Feedback
Medical Guardian is known for its exceptional customer service. You can talk to them over the phone 24 hours of the day, 7 days a week. You can also email them and expect a response within 24 hours. Visit their website to chat live with a service representative. They can help resolve most issue amicably. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has received few complaints about the company. All the complaints have been addressed and resolved leading to one of the highest rated alert services.